[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 08:36:43 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Ancient languages, languages that used to be spoken by people that are dead
cannot be used to discuss the modern concepts; they just lack the words.
When you insist on reviving a language, it is not the language it used to
be. Stating that it is indeed old greek or whatever when new words have to
be invented all the time makes it a language that is not what it is said to
be, it is not what is defined in the ISO-639 standard.

This is in marked contrast to constructed languages. Constructed languages
ARE modern languages, they DO allow for the creation of new words when the
words are lacking in that language. The whole notion that constructed
languages should not have new projects is something I have always objected
against. It is wrong and the stance is in my opinion dogmatic.

The issue is typically very much one of labelling. When Latin is considered
an ancient language, it is so because there is no people who speak the
language. However, it has been continuously spoken and new words have been
continuously added. This in my opinion is why there is no problem with
having a Latin Wikipedia. It is also the reason why we have a committee and
not a blind process that deals with requests for new languages.

When people want to write in a particular language, a language that allows
for new terminology, they can as far as I am concerned have a project as
long as it has its ISO-639 code. An ISO-639 code because it codifies what
language we are talking about. A ISO-639 code because it prevents disasters
like the one we suffered with "Siberian".

When people learn about subjects, a different presentation can make a
difference in learning and understanding. It is for this reason that I
welcome all living languages including constructed languages.
Thanks,
     GerardM