[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sat Mar 29 23:08:37 UTC 2008

In a message dated 3/29/2008 5:10:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pathoschild at gmail.com writes:

But that  is my opinion. What do you think; should wikis be allowed in
every extinct  language?

To help me think about this question, I pulled out my handy dandy "Manual  of
Akkadian" (David Marcus University Press of America, 1978) to see if I could
translate anything on the Main Page. Unless there is some news report of
Babylonian (Iraqi) troops from Nineveh (Mosul) attacking Ur (Basra) with
iron-clad mules (tanks), it would be pretty much impossible, even if you can  type in
cuneiform. Certain languages simply don't have the ability to relay  modern
ideas, which is, essentially, what an encyclopedia should cover. If you  had to
make up words for virtually every concept that did not exist in the  Fertile
Crescent in 2000 BC, it would either not be an encyclopedia or not be
Akkadian.

Danny

Home.