[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 21:33:14 UTC 2008

I think it depends on the community.

For example, in the case of Coptic, it is very much alive in certain
senses of the word - it is a thriving liturgical language, and it
represents their unique cultural heritage.

In the case of the Massachusett-Narragansett language, there is a
community actively working at reviving it as a living language in some
form.

In the case of, say, Old English, however, for which we already have a
Wikipedia, there is little interest in language revival, and most
people interested in the language are hobbyists.

I would thus personally recommend approval of Coptic and
Massachusett-Narragansett if they had enough "fluent speaker"
supporters, but against the approval of something analagous to Old
English.

Mark