No subject

Fri Mar 14 23:02:16 UTC 2008

similar and have accredited photographers. An alternative to having two
separate processes might be to move the Wikinews accreditation process =
over
to meta and work from there across multiple projects. We've had a number =
of
people from non-English Wikinews projects apply for accreditation with =
mixed
results. However, that being said it might be best if Commons hammered =
out
their own rules to start with - particularly requirements that those
applying had good equipment and demonstrated a dedication to the project =
and
a good eye for photography. From a Wikinews perspective it would be
fantastic were there a pool of Commons photographers who could be =
contacted
to attend events with an accredited reporter and cover said event.

If you've any further questions on WN accreditation, feel free to ask on =
or
off-list. There are problems in the majority of countries that work =
under
the Napoleonic code and official, government sanctioned credentials are
unavailable unless you make the majority of your income from your
journalistic pursuits. However in a recent case in Belgium brought =
against
an Indymedia reporter the judge threw it out and specified that the case
should treat the person in question as a journalist and go before a
different court and apply a different law. This is great news for all
citizen journalists in the country as the law in question has not been
applied - successfully or otherwise - for many years.

Brian McNeil