[Foundation-l] Thinking for the Future

Kul Takanao Wadhwa kwadhwa at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 27 20:43:39 UTC 2008

In my opinion, it's a little too premature to spend a lot
of time discussing the intricacies of an endowment. Although
we are a "foundation" by name, we don't operate like a typical
foundation, in that, we don't have hundreds of millions to
billions of dollars to fund other causes, projects and
organizations. Even if we built up a reserve fund of say
10 million dollars...it is still just that...a reserve fund.
That would still need to be used in case we need to tap
into it to fund scholarships, pay for infrastructure,
improve fundraising capabilities, expand biz dev initiatives,
improve Wikimania, and the list goes on and on....
Depending on what amounts come into the WMF from various
sources, this discussion is at least a couple years away.

Kul Takanao Wadhwa
Head of Business Development
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
kul at wikimedia.org