[Foundation-l] Thinking for the Future

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 27 07:23:22 UTC 2008

Andrew Gray wrote:
> On 27/03/2008, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, what if another Foundation was set up. The WMF would focus on the wiki
>> project and the second foundation would build an endowment and fulfill the
>> mission from a physical perspective.
>>
> We're building an awful lot of complexity here to ensure that our
> handling of money that doesn't exist would be ideologically sound. I
> can't help but feel this is all a little... well, silly.

Very much so, and not having the seeds of an endowment fund puts a big
distance between the idea and reality.  It's good to have a contingency
plan for the possibility of inheriting a windfall, but having
level-headed people as arms-length trustees would be more important than
slick financial advisers. If we're not competent at managing our own
investments, will we be any more competent at choosing financial
advisors? Advisors advise, but it is still the client who makes the
decisions, and the advisors will not be there to pick up the pieces if
their advice goes south with the latest incarnation of a Enron shares.
High returns on investments go hand-in-hand with high risk.

The Microsoft shares are not a big worry unless its the only thing
available for us to invest in.  Otherwise there's enough diversity in
the market to choose other candidates.  We can also look at the
experience of ethical investment funds to guide our choices.  Their
portfolio contents are usually a matter of public record.

Ec