[Foundation-l] Thinking for the Future

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:48:10 UTC 2008

On 26/03/2008, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The Foundation really should start thinking for the future. I noticed that a couple people were talking about an endowment. For the WMF, what would a endowment require?

That would depend how much of our budget we want to it cover. The
latest budget was $4.6m for the year, if we wanted that all to be
covered by an endowment and we assume a return of 5% after tax and
inflation (perhaps a little optimistic - can anyone offer more than a
guess at a return? I'm basing my guess mainly on it making the maths
easier...) then we would need an endowment of $92m. That's a very
rough estimate, but it gives you an order of magnitude, at least.