[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 26 19:53:08 UTC 2008

I do lots of cluster computing, and offered my cluster to Erik, but his job
can't be run that way. I also have jobs that are very difficult to run on a
cluster, such as computing en.WP's pagerank (this can be done with the
Parallel Boost Graph Library, but are you guys really going to install MPI
and PBS/Maui?). I image there are lots more.

So before borrowing a 16GB machine from noaa.gov, I tried using Amazon's
elastic compute cloud for this pagerank task. While it may seem cheap, it's
really not that cheap. I think Erik's statistics would only take a few
months to add up to the cost of a new machine. Unpacking that 17GB 7-zip
file alone is going to cost you dearly in S3 storage (and instance time -
how long does it take?). You'll have to have a Large Instance ($.40 per
instance hour) to run the stats job which is four times more expensive than
the small instance.