[Foundation-l] Stroop report

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 19:02:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The United States Holocoaust Memorial Museum has a symbiotic relationship
>  with Wikipedia also, but in a way that raises no objections.  The image
>  below is featured in different versions (restored and unrestored) on both
>  Commons and en:Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg

Durova, I'm very pleased to see this kind of image being featured, but
I'm wondering what kind of licence you used. Several of us have had
lots of problems with Holocaust images, forced to claim fair use
because of the age and lack of a release, but with fair use sometimes
contested too, because we often don't know who the copyright holder
is.
Sarah
******
There was a long discussion at Commons about Stroop report images.  They
were taken in Poland by an anonymous photographer and first published in
Poland, so the conclusion was that German law is inapplicable, and under
Polish law these are public domain.

-Durova