[Foundation-l] Advertisement and service at the same time

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 09:23:10 UTC 2008

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Pedro Sanchez wrote:
>> If Foundation would drop the world saviour attitude, drop wikimania
>> which accounts a large part of the budget and first securing budget
>> for running the site for a few years, then this nonsense advertising
>> talk would not need to happen.
>
> Notice that the Foundation is not proposing advertising at all.
>
> --Jimbo

Correct. The advertisement discussion has been going on, every now and
then since the creation of the Wikipedia. Nothing new.

For the fun, some old historical discussion:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Advertising_on_Wikipedia

Also, I must point out that Wikimania, though it naturally appears in
the budget, is roughly a self sustainable projects. We get sponsors to
pay for it, and if we had no Wikimania, we would not get these sponsors
money. So, it is a zero sum event.

Ant