[Foundation-l] Sanger: Free the content

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 23 08:35:07 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> http://blog.citizendium.org/2008/03/22/a-plea-to-liberate-educational-content/
>
> This is IMO something we could and should be doing already.
I very much agree, and my view is not altered by the fact of who is
expressing it.

It has taken a long time for the eduction system to recognize that
Wikipedia contains valid information, and that acceptance is still not
uniform in all countries, districts and schools.

I've raised the point with teachers before, but there appears to be an
unwillingness for them to get together on a wiki of their own to build
common lesson plans.  They claim it would be too much work to develop
this themselves; they fail to look beyond that to see that very little
effort on their individual parts would have a very big payback.

We also need to avoid using copyrights as a tool for self-flagellation.
We could probably be more pro-active in our interpretations, without
going through some of silly overdependance on fair use arguments.

As Larry said improving quality is also very important, and quality will
be best measured by what we add than by what we subtract.

Ec