[Foundation-l] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 23 06:45:19 UTC 2008

SlimVirgin wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  The United States Holocoaust Memorial Museum has a symbiotic relationship
>>  with Wikipedia also, but in a way that raises no objections.  The image
>>  below is featured in different versions (restored and unrestored) on both
>>  Commons and en:Wikipedia:
>>
>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stroop_Report_-_Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising_06b.jpg
>>
> Durova, I'm very pleased to see this kind of image being featured, but
> I'm wondering what kind of licence you used. Several of us have had
> lots of problems with Holocaust images, forced to claim fair use
> because of the age and lack of a release, but with fair use sometimes
> contested too, because we often don't know who the copyright holder
> is.
Sometimes we outsmart ourselves with the extent that we abide by a
strict reading of copyright laws.  The irony here is that a photograph
taken by someone working in the employ of the Nazi government is clearly
in the public domain.  On the other hand a sympathetic private snapshot
taken no later than 1945 by an unidentifiable individual who may with
all his descendants have met a dreadful fate is tied up in red tape for
many years yet over such things as the US non-recognition of the rule of
the shorter term.  Who are we protecting with this?

Ec