[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 03:06:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:50 PM, White Cat
<wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> It wouldn't be malicious popups obviously.
>
>  I whole heartedly hate the idea of advertisements on wikipedia but if we are
>  going to have ads they should not be inline ones. Popups are easier to deal
>  with than flashy in line ads.

I dont think i necessarily agree with this. Some inline ads would not
be entirely unacceptable. All ads should be text-based (not blinking
animated gifs, not flash, nothing with audio, etc). Ads should be
relegated to a very specific section of the page where there will not
be any confusion as to their origin, and where they will not
immediately interfere with the user interface. I think that we will
put so many restrictions on them that advertisers may not find it
profitable to put ads on our site anyway. restricted text-based ads
are less distracting and annoying popup ads with all sorts of
blinking, flash-based ads with audio and video, long load times, etc.

--Andrew Whitworth