[Foundation-l] Advertising and service at the same time

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 20 22:34:58 UTC 2008

Brion writes:

>  Advertising brokers such as Google already attempt to make ad
> selection
> based on contextual information as relevant to the reader as
> possible --
> there is a direct commercial advantage for them to provide ads that
> readers will want to click on.

This is my understanding as well, although I think it should be clear
that the "broker" function is typically highly automated (for
countless good reasons, including privacy-related ones).

> That sort of direct dealing with individual advertisers and articles
> is
> *exactly* the sort of thing that would be considered suspicious.

I absolutely agree.  Historically, this has been a problem for
newspapers and other traditional media -- so much so that, at least in
the American newspaper tradition, there has been an attempt to build a
cultural barrier between "church and state" (between the business side
and the news side of a journal) in order to diminish or circumvent
this hazard.

A sufficiently clever set of algorithms could, at least in theory, do
an even better job of separating "church and state."  The question
becomes whether you trust the people in charge of the algorithms
(Google, say).

Obviously, no one should reflexively trust Google (or another other
large commercial entity), even as a broker.  But it should be noted
that Google's value in the marketplace lies precisely in the extent to
which it can convincingly demonstrate that it is a comparatively
neutral broker (a "featured" link is clearly labeled as such, and all
other links are algorithmically ranked).  To that extent, Google as an
advertising broker is in many ways more transparent than the
traditional organs of journalism (newspapers, magazines, TV news
programs, and the like).

This discussion is meant to underscore that the discussion of the
effect of advertising is complex. Not least is the assumption (or
assumptions) one brings to the question of whether a reader can
perceive bias.  I happen to believe that most readers in a
complicated, media-rich culture like ours are capable of making many
reliable judgments about bias (or, to put it in our own language, lack
of NPOV). That's why, even in ad-free Wikipedia and other projects,
countless editors are alert to NPOV problems even in articles that
don't appear anywhere near ads.  Is there a reason to believe that our
editors will become less able to see such problems if we were to carry
advertising?  I see plenty of credible arguments against advertising,
but this doesn't strike me as one of them.  I have a lot of faith in
our community of editors as a whole.

So, then, the next question becomes, do we believe we can't trust
*readers* to distinguish between biased and unbiased content in the
presence of advertising.  If so, then I think we have a moral
obligation to end all agreements with Ask.com and any other commercial
enterprise that accepts Wikipedia and other project content and
redistributes it with advertising.  But I think that's probably not a
correct assessment of our readership, who, after all, consult us out
of intellectual curiosity, the impulse to ask questions, and the
desire to do basic research.  They're not such a vulnerable population
either, in my view.

Almost all questions about commercial partnerships for Wikimedia
Foundation projects boil down to questions about the extent to which
we trust the wisdom of our readers -- not just active community
members, but everybody -- to recognize bias when they see it, and to
make things better when they find things wrong.  I worry that if we
make a top-down decision from the "elite" of our community, we run the
risk of distrusting the larger community that we have grown up with
and have grown to rely on.

--Mike