[Foundation-l] Advertisement and service at the same time

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:15:16 UTC 2008

I can recognise both the benefit for visitors of a page and the headache for
volunteers.

Aside from contributing to several wikipedias, i also have a small website
which generates a small income (still insufficient for hosting cosst)
running both amazon and google ads.

The google ads bring in about 3-5 times the amount that amazon brings in.
The amazon links provide imho a better service to visitors. Amazon also
allows better control over the ads displayed, as I select what book/dvd i
will advertise.

IF we allow every company to inserg their own ads, volunteers will indeed be
even more busy to remove unwanted ads. But if the foundation strikes a deal
with Amazon, and just Amazon, we have only one template which volunters can
add or not add to a page. There is little extra risk that this will lead to
an large extra burden on the volunteers. The volunteers keep complete
control over the neutrality of a page.

The main problems with such an approach seem to me:
* how many volunteers are willing to add amazon links to provide income to
the foundation?
* will there be many disputes over neutrality of links to Amazon?
* will links to Amazon only violate our NPOV?
As soon as more than one company is contracted by the foundation, we'll have
volunteers at war with each other about which add must be placed where.