[Foundation-l] Ads and monobook

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Mar 20 15:16:42 UTC 2008

Wikinews has the following code in its sitenotice...

{{#switch:{{#expr:{{CURRENTTIMESTAMP}} mod 8}}|0=Did last week go by in a
blur, or do you remember your current affairs?
|1=Want Wikinews on the go?
|2=Wikinews is written by people like you. Did you see something deserving
of an article?<br/>
Learn how to '''[[Wikinews:Writing_an_article|Write an article]]'''!
|3=Have a question about Wikinews?<br/>
Ask at the
'''[http://en.wikinews.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Wikinews:Water_cooler/assistan
ce&action=edit&section=new&preload=Template:Water_cooler/fromsitenotice
Water Cooler]'''.
|4=Want to know what the weather is like?<br/>
View the current temperature in [[Template:Weather World C|&deg;C]] or
[[Template:Weather World F|&deg;F]].
|5=Help keep knowledge free.<br>[[wikimedia:Fundraising|Donate]]
|6=Want to know how Wikinews works?<br/>
Walk into our '''[[Wikinews:Newsroom|Newsroom]]'''!
|7=Walk into our [[Wikinews:Audio Wikinews|audio room]]!
}}

Note the "Help keep knowledge free.<br>[[wikimedia:Fundraising|Donate]]"
option in that list.

For all anon users one of these messages is always displayed. For registered
users there is the option to dismiss this until [[Mediawiki:Sitenotice id]]
is updated, but as it generally changes with every page you load and is
relatively unobtrusive I suspect few bother to.

My personal opinion is that most projects should adopt something like this
for the sitenotice when there is not a special reason to have a static,
specific message. A fixed message is something people learn to tune out very
quickly, but if it changes almost every page view then there is a higher
likelihood of it being read.

Brian McNeil