[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 02:02:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > You might also find the following instructive:
>  >
>  >
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:User_Noads-alt&limit=500&from=0
>  >

>  Yes actually, I'm curious.
>
>  wget -qO- '
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:User_Noads-alt&limit=50000&from=0'
>  > | grep '/wiki/User:' | wc -l
>

>  792
>  And according to Special:Statistics, there are 6,702,366 registered users.
>  And there are billions that constitute our readership. Does 792/6,702,366
>  constitute a consensus to you? What about 792/billions? The loudest voices,
>  who happen to love saying "if you run ads I'm forking the project to build a
>  BETTER Wikipedia that doesn't show ads" do not constitute a consensus. You
>  have to run a large, well designed survey to get a representative sample.

It would depend how you phrased the questions.

"Should Wikimedia projects be used to promote companies, products,
services, or ideas?"

I bet you the answer is an overwhelming "No".

"Would you support ads on Wikimedia projects if we could make
$MEGABUCKS_FIGURE?"

I bet you in this case you get more yes answers. Questions can
certainly be leading.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.