[Foundation-l] Advertisements

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 19 19:10:56 UTC 2008

David Gerard writes:

>  http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/googles-thin-skinned-lawyers/index.html
>
>> From Google Ads terms of service:
>
> "5. Prohibited Uses. You shall not, and shall not authorize or
> encourage any third party to:
> ?
> (xi) engage in any action or practice that reflects poorly on Google
> or otherwise disparages or devalues Google's reputation or goodwill."
>
> So much for NPOV.

You may be sure that such a term of service would not survive any
negotiations between Google and Wikimedia.  (Note: not arguing for ads
here -- just saying that I now make a practice of removing
unreasonable terms from contracts that WMF enters into.  This turns
out not to be as problematic as you might imagine, especially when the
other party wants to deal with you badly enough.)

--Mike