[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 19 04:42:07 UTC 2008

This seems to be a generally agreed upon point. I don't know of anyone who
has seriously thought about it that thinks that showing adverts in the main
namespaces (or even a meta namespace) would ever be approved by the
community. So the real question is, what about Special:Search? Would the
community be willing to put up with adverts on the search engine if the
funds were mostly put to african schools or an endowment, with a small
portion going to servers/software/quality? Every year that we don't do this
we are deliberately choosing to not put tens of millions of dollars to a
good cause. Is that choice well founded? That's the question that needs to
be answered.