[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Wed Mar 19 03:51:31 UTC 2008

Birgitte SB wrote:
> I wonder how people would feel about limited
> advertisements (not in the article space), if all ad
> revenue was put towards funding an endowment rather
> than the general budget.

I think you're to be commended for being creative in seeking a
compromise. However, it seems that the sentiment against advertising is
strongest when the scenario isn't a hypothetical financial crisis. Since
funding an endowment as opposed to day-to-day operational costs is,
basically by definition, not a crisis matter, it makes a weaker case for
overcoming the resistance to advertising. I do still hope that we will
eventually be able to build up a solid endowment, though.

--Michael Snow