[Foundation-l] Restricting Appointed members (Proposal).

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 00:33:08 UTC 2008

On 19/03/2008, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 3/18/08, Henning Schlottmann <h.schlottmann at gmx.net> wrote:
>  >  In my eyes, binding the majority of the board to the community of
>  >  editors would be a burden, not an asset, as editors to Wikipedia will
>  >  very soon don't know much about the activities of WMF, and being based
>  >  in the community of the wikis will not be helpful for the tasks of a
>  >  board member.
>

> That's absolutely correct. [snip]

However, the majority of the board does have to come from the
community, it's in the bylaws (Article IV, Section 2 (D) if memory
serves). This proposal is to require the community members to be
elected rather than appointed from the community. Most of the points
you make are in favour of having people that aren't from the community
on the board, rather than in favour of appointing people from the
community as opposed to electing them, which is the matter that's
actually being discussed.