[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:51:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  Please define "financial trouble". Given that the dollar is taking a nose
>  dive and given that this is affecting the value of the cash reserves as they
>  exist, we can talk of trouble. Given that the budget for 2008 is not
>  covered, we can talk of trouble. Given that there are many things that we
>  want developed but do not get either finished or started, we can talk of
>  trouble. Given that there are several content projects that we want to give
>  a bigger profile but do not have the means to make this happen, we can talk
>  of trouble. When you think that sacking staff or not taking up the
>  opportunities that exist is "the usual shoestring" then I consider that
>  trouble.

I personally would define "trouble", in this instance, as the point at
which we can no longer afford to keep the servers running, and we need
to start shutting machines down, or even selling server equipment. I
make the assumption that everything besides the servers are not
fundamental expenses, so things like office space, paid salaries, etc
would all be cut before server resources were shut down. Given that
assumption (and I don't know whether it is accurate or not), we have a
lot of wiggle room in the budget before we start to hit this point.

Given the choice between shutting the servers down for good, or
displaying some adverstisements (and then we have to define the word
"some" here), I personally would pick the advertisements.

--Andrew Whitworth