[Foundation-l] Contact from Chile

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Mar 18 16:35:16 UTC 2008

Mark Williamson wrote:
> Perhaps you should assume good faith.
>
> My point was that Alejandro seems to know very little about our
> organization, thus he would probably not be the best person to start a
> Wikimedia chapter in Chile at this point. You are placing too much of
> your hope on his shoulders, it seems.
>
> Mark

I strongly disagree with this sentiment.  I have seen some outstanding
new contributors come out of the woodwork that have additional
organizational and leadership skills, and a drive to see something get
accomplish.  I have also worked with volunteers with a great many other
organizations that depend upon volunteer labor, and whenever a cliquish
attitude prevails it tends to drive away any additional volunteers who
want to come forward with new ideas.

How do you suggest that Alejandro learn about Wikimedia and the projects
if you never give him a chance to learn about it in the first place, and
shoot down his ideas even if he doesn't quite know the terminology?  As
far as placing hope on his shoulders.... absolutely I am doing just
that.  I place enormous hope upon every new participant to any volunteer
organization, as that is ultimately the future of the organization...
including Wikimedia projects.  New contributors are the life blood of
the projects, and it is incumbent on the part of everybody participating
to make it easier, not harder, for these new contributors to add to
these projects in the future.  Squashing hopes and dreams is a good way
to make an organization like the Wikimedia Foundation become stagnant,
irrelevant, and spell the eventual death of the organization even if it
is a death by attrition.

How else do you think a chapter forms, unless there is a spark and a
germ of an idea?  Do you think Florance can spontaneously create a whole
new Wikimedia chapter out of nothing, and those who should participate
only come from those veteran Wikimedia users who have been editing on
the projects for more than 10 years?  I am suggesting that combining the
efforts of somebody like Alejandro with others who may have a similar
vision is precisely the kind of people we need if we are going to
promote chapter creation... unless there is an attitude that prevails
that we don't need any more chapters.  An organization is either growing
or dying.  Which is it for Wikimedia projects?

BWT, I am trying to assume good faith... on the part of this new
contributor.  He appears to have a strong desire to accomplish some
projects and tasks that can promote his country, and would like to be a
leader to bring people together for creating free content.  Isn't this
precisely what Wikimedia projects are about?

-- Robert Horning