[Foundation-l] Advertising suggestion

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Mar 18 16:47:39 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> On 3/18/08, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A programme of encouraging people to put ads on sites as they wish and
>> contribute the money to WMF. Make this as easy as possible. Possibly
>> work with Google, etc. to make this as easy as possible. (Imaging
>> Google Ads or Overture offering a tickybox to send x% of revenue to
>> WMF!)
>>
>> (Second option: earmark such money for an endowment, rather than
>> sending it straight to the operating budget.)
>>
> Now, this I like. I could even be enticed to finally start blogging with
> ads on my blog, if this could be done in a workable way.
An endowment fund would be a great idea, but it takes financial
discipline to get there.  As long as donations are seen as insufficient
to meet budgeted needs it is difficult to find the discipline needed to
set aside a portion of those donations for building a fund whose
investment income will eventually fund current operations.  Has anybody
made long range budget projections that would allow for such a possibility?

Ec