[Foundation-l] Advertisements?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:29:56 UTC 2008

Hoi,
How do you substantiate your assertions? It reads like arguments of faith.
Adds do not say "buy this" when they are so unsophisticated they will not
sell much. You assert that we will lose volunteers. The question you do not
ask is what will balance this loss. The question you do not ask is what the
value is of the contributions when we have more staff. When we had more
staff we could work on things like a GUI for our data, one of the biggest
impediments for the use of our data. We could improve our software and
support the languages that we currently do not support properly.

You speak as if advertisements are fundamentally incompatible with our
mission. For you it is an article of faith. For me advertisements are a
potential way to ensure that we have sufficient money for the budget that
has been approved by our board. I doubt that you have a clue how much more
of an impact we would have when we had substantially more money with the
same frugal outlook on spending.

In my opinion our aim is in bringing information to the people of this
world. We could do much better if we had sufficient funding. This whole
notion that there is fat in our budget is based on what, more faith ?
Thanks,
     GerardM