[Foundation-l] Contact from Chile

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Mar 17 23:17:31 UTC 2008

Fajro wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Alejandro Nunez
> <solomaquetas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Sirs.
>>  We are starting a new project, based on MediaWiki softare:
>>  soloWiki: La wikipedia del modelkismo a escala o
>>  soloWiki: The wiki of scale modelers
>>  You can see that in:
>>  http:wiki.solomaquetas.com, we are in the initial stages and using all
>>  templates and tools availables. I expect that to finish present year we will
>>  be with a godd quantity of critical mass of information
>>
>>  So, I want to know what is necessary for start a Chilean chapter of
>>  Wikipedia iniative, in large scale and with transversal and universal
>>  content
>>
>>  Cherrs from Chile
>>
>>  Alejandro Nuñez
>>

> Hola Alejandro.
>
> You seem a little confused about Wikimedia...
> Wikimedia does not do national versions of Wikipedia and if you make
> one, it would be an independent project.
> The Wikimedia Foundation and the local chapters are in charge of
> Wikipedia and their sister projects, not of third party projects.
> If you need more explanations you can write me an e-mail in spanish
> and I'll help you.

Is this just somebody confused and wanting to create a Chilean Wikimedia
chapter instead of an independent Wikipedia from a Chilean POV?  It
sounds like this is somebody who is a little bit confused about how
everything works, but has a tremendous amount of energy they would like
to put into a project like Wikipedia with support from his fellow
countrymen.

I hope that somebody takes Alejandro under their wing and help him out
in terms of merging his laudable effort with projects that could
accomplish what he really wants to do.  A Wikimedia Chile chapter would
be something very much worth having and supporting.

-- Robert Horning