[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 16:16:41 UTC 2008

Interesting to read that women tend to believe that something like the
Wikipedia comes from "some rich guy", probably of royal blood and coming
along on a white horse. :-) Maybe men know better about the Wikipedia and
its background than women, due to higher internet affinity. (My wife and my
step mother use the internet, but only for a short research, never surf
around just like that.)
Yes, Wikimedia and Wikipedia PR must much more emphasize that its about a
non profit organisation, not a big corporation with thousands of employees.
And make understandable why one should donate.
About advertising - it will make a big deal not only what the money will be
used for, but also how it would be implemented (not close to articles, but
maybe on related sites). I wonder what a more thorrough research would tell
us about the acceptedness of advertising. Just following our stomach's
feeling or asking our WP-buddies (or those who have the strongest opinion
and urge to tell it to everybody) will not do.
Ziko

--
Ziko van Dijk
Roomberg 30