[Foundation-l] A train without destination?

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 06:38:20 UTC 2008

Maybe it is worth that I tell you a story at that point :-)

Last fall, I was invited by Cornell University, to go in Zambia for a
brainstorming session. Cornell had been commissionned (--> got funds
from) by the B&M Gate Foundation to gather experts to come with a
collection of grant-supportive ideas to help education-africa-women.

I thought it was really an interesting idea, and I accepted to go there
for a full week. It was a significant investment of my time. Whilst I
was naturally not paid, they had agreed to cover travel expenses with
the Gate grant.

Ultimately, it was a very interesting week, lots of discussions, some
presentations, a couple of visits around. So, I do not regret I went at
all. But practically speaking, I feel I was cheated, and this does not
give me much interest in pursuing anythink with the Gates Foundation.

Two officers of Gate grant program were present during the week. During
the last day, we separated in small groups, to work on a pre-grant
requests. After being refined, all pre-grant requests were given to the
Gate Foundation; after consideration, the Gate Foundation indicated
which projects seemed really interesting and worth pursuing and finally
helping. I worked with Cornell Librarian on a proposal for agricultural
wikibooks (remember that I am an agricultural engineer).

First disappointement: 5 months later, I am still waiting for the
reimbursement of most of the travel expenses. Last month, my own cash
reserve was so low, that I asked WMF to cover the main flight, and seek
reimbursement from Cornell. So, now, Cornell owes money to both WMF and I.
After doing an original reimbursement request as they asked for directly
in Zambia, I made a new request a month ago, because no one seem to give
any feedback about the first.
Whilst this is not Gates Foundation fault, it casts doubts in terms of
respectability. When you make people work for free during a full week
and promise to reimburse their expenses, then it is best to make sure
that reimbursement really occur.

A few weeks later, I learned that our proposition of wikibooks attracted
the interest of the Gate Foundation (which means that they intended to
commission a more detailed grant request). I thought "greeeeaaaat".
Bad news, it seems that the more detailed grant request is being done
without WMF as a partner. So, my whole week of volunteer-work will
benefit others, not us. Hmmmmmm... disappointing, right ?

The last hit happened 2 weeks ago. I was contacted by a small american
Foundation. They have been commissionned by the Gate Foundation to work
out the grant details. So, they had questions such as "how does a wiki
work ?"; "how much does it cost to host a wiki ?"; "how would you
recommand starting the project" etc... There is a whole list of questions.
They contacted me, per recommandation of the Gate Foundation, so that I
could give them ALL the answers which would make it possible to populate
the detailed grant request. They asked me to provide such information in
a written format, and "please could I do that within the next two days
because they had a deadline to respect". And if I could not do this,
"could I give them the name of a WMF staff member who could do that for
them".

Well, all I could do was to basically answer "the WMF does not provide
free consulting services".

But what did I really do in Zambia ? I provided free consulting services
during a full week, because I hoped that WMF would somehow benefit from
this. If not WMF, myself :-)

This is not the first time it happens to me, but this one was the first
time I felt so abused. I am not rich. The WMF is not rich. The Gate
Foundation is rich by millions. They could help us to operate, because
even though we have some strong disagreements, our final mission
overlap. Instead, WMF and I are poorer. And mostly, I have this vague
feeling that we are being treated as "nice children deserving a tap on
the back for what they do".

So, yeah, the Gate Foundation has the resources and power to further the
goals of the Foundation. But I would recommand staying away. A good
relationship is one where the two partners are happy.

Ant