[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news - follow up

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 16 20:42:37 UTC 2008

For the enlightenment and amusement of those who do not follow eBay, the
two items of Jimbo's clothing that were put up for sale by Rachel
Marsden were not sold.

After encountering difficulties with eBay's rules regarding the mention
of third parties, she relisted them with a starting bid of $500.  Both
received one (sockpuppet?) bid which fell short of her unknown reserve
price.  The time for bidding has expired on both items.

In another unrelated incident the domain name jimbowales.co.uk went
without bids at the asking price of $147.50.

In addition to the usual hype about appreciating domain names, the
seller (who is either in London or Spain) added these gems, which I quote:
> Forget stained old clothing put online by vengeful and psychotic one
> night stands! What were you thinking Jimbo???
>
> Own a piece of internet history, Jimbo is sure to achieve his ambition
> of floating wikioogle so that he can kit out his new private jet as
> his own personal  flying f***chamber. Maybe Jimbo and Rachel might
> even kiss and make up.
>
> Whatever happens, this valuable domain can only appreciate in value!
> Bid now!

It's hard to dream this stuff up.

Ec