[Foundation-l] Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no?

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 12:43:48 UTC 2008

Thomas,

> The Squid servers hold cached copies of the data. Exactly whose
> jurisdiction things on the web fall under is very complicated and I've
> never understood it - it's possible Amsterdam or Korea could claim
> jurisdiction. Any Dutch or Korean lawyers on the list?

IANAL, but..

So do routers, switches, etc - the data is buffered and kept in
memory for shorter or longer time on nearly every piece of internet
infrastructure.
Squids just speed up data delivery from data store somewhere else.
The major issue in such case would be do we work on squid storages as
standalone media systems (thats like, if you start filtering content
- you're the one who is responsible for it in the end).
Squids are 'data transfer' infrastructure, not 'data storage'
infrastructure, and operating a squid is same as operating a browser
(which also does caching), or operating network backbone.

BR,
--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]