[Foundation-l] Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 01:19:29 UTC 2008

On 16/03/2008, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:

>  >> It can be *very useful* to be the
>  >>  800-pound gorilla of free content.

>  > Until someone realises you're an 800-pound gorilla without much money...

> That doesn't exactly support any incentive to sue.  Poverty has its
>  advantages.

Our 800-pound weight is our very many friends. Wikipedia is *nice*, you know.

We're simultaneously an organisation of less than ten employees and an
organisation of tens of thousands of hard-working volunteers. As long
as we remember the right one of these to be for any given situation

In disputes like this - free content and freedom of information - we
can speak softly and ask nicely, because we carry the big stick of a
tsunami of pissed-off geeks. Should anyone *really* threaten us. This
behooves us to stay nice so people will in fact like us. Do well by
doing good.

- d.