[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Mar 15 23:34:14 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> I was being serious. I mean no disrespect to the owner, but as David says below, I see no valid reason for this Council to exist. My issues are;
>
> 1) The size of the body is too small to adequately represent the Community.
> 2) The Board is already accountable to the community, through the annual election.
> 3) The initial membership is not being selected transparently.
>
> Here is how it can be reformed;
>
> 1) Increase the size to 200-400 members.
> 2) Give each project a specific number of members, based on size.
> 3) Rename it the Community Assembly
> 4) Give the initial slots to anyone who is interested.
> 5) Clearly state a purpose.
>
> Thoughts?
The size of the VC remains to be determined.  Those on the PVC should
take that into account when making their recommendation.  The reasons
fro a smaller or larger VC will have been made clear, as will have any
proposals for distribution of such members by project.  The PVC
membership will be relatively small but it will have the right to add
further members, but one needs to remember as well that the role of the
PVC is a very limited one.  It can only report and recommend.

Without being critical of anyone on the Board it's safe to say that what
passes for Board accountability is laughably limited.  The Board is
under no legal obligation to appoint anyone that is elected by the
community.  The person who topped the ballot was only supported on 40%
of the ballots, and he has since resigned from the Board.  My purpose in
raising that is not to directly criticize those events, but to
illustrate that it would probably be easier for the VC to attain a
higher standard of accountability.

How much transparency do you want for selecting a group whose only role
will be to make recommendations?  Lodewijk has already stated that he
will make a slate public before it goes to the Board, so that the
community will have the opportunity to voice its opinions about any
person on that list that it considers unsuited.

What the group is named is of no consequence at all.  Earlier
suggestions were for a WikiCouncil, but I can appreciate that less
Pythonesque minds than mine might balk at a legislative group called the WC.

Giving the initial slots to anyone interested is fine.  At
[[Meta:Talk:Wikicouncil]] the first section reads "2008 interested
team". From the beginning of the year until a resolution was made public
only 11 people put their name on that list.  Not all people named on the
list made any comments there, and not all who made comments put their
name on the list.  That's fine.  Since this thread started two others
have added their names, both of whom have made positive contributions to
this thread.  Peter, Paul and Mary cannot choose a team made up only of
right-fielders.  The PVC will have a limited lifetime, and we want it to
work.  Choosing a member for the sole reason that he has put his hand up
in class is just not enough.  We want some evidence of being able to
participate in a collaborative synthesis. If you want 200+ people to be
involved then show me 200+ people with enough committment.  If you just
want people to have an opportunity to express themselves, that
opportunity will be given.

One of the purposes is to develop the purposes into something coherent.
If you have been reading the thread you will see that people's ideas for
the purposes are all over the map.  Do you honestly believe that the ad
hoc group that is promoting this initiative should be defending its
vision to the exclusion of all others?  If it wants to do that it
doesn't need this council; it doesn't need a forum which would expose
that vision to alternate POVs.and which would give the broad membership
any opportunity to participate.

Ec