[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Mar 15 18:54:04 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> On 15/03/2008, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
>>
>>  > I have a better question. Why isn't this just another worthless body to give a fancy title to certain individuals? In one sentence.
>>
>> Try asking a serious question instead of a sarcastic one that implies
>>  issues that are not a part of the resolution.  If you really think the
>>  resolution was in such bad faith, just say it.
>>
> I think it sounds like it's in bad judgement, not bad faith.
>
> This body needs a clear reason that it exists, rather than a
> collection of half-reasons.
At his level of development all you can get is "half-reasons".  Any more
than that would be going into the process with an attitude of
inflexibility.  WMF, as presently constituted, is not membership based.
In some respect the various communities are, but, as is their right,
they head off in as many different directions.  There is no organized
body to make sense of the whole thing.

So the dilemma at this stage of events is that we either take hard
positions on various issues, and have them miserably shot-down by those
who want different details, or we take an open position of willingness
to listen to the opinion of others and take shots for being vague.

I have always believed that WMF should have a two-tiered governance.
I'm sure that my comments from the time when the first WMF by-laws were
being written is still somewhere in the mailing lists archives.  (Not
foundation-l since they would predate this list.)

As I've said before, if this Provisional Council can't get its act
together between early April, when it would be likely constituted and
the time that its September report is presented to the Board, the
viability of the concept beyond that would seriously be in question.
That report should, among other things, be able to give more than the
"half-reason" which you criticize.  That "more" would also need to be
grounded in a fair hearing of opinions throughout the communities.

Ec