[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 01:38:55 UTC 2008

2008/3/15, David Gerard <dgerard op gmail.com>:

> I appear to have missed an important piece of information somewhere in
> this thread:
>
> What *precisely* is the function of this new body supposed to be? In
> one sentence.

You know probably as well as I do that things don't let them catch easily in
one sentence. So I will refer you to the proposed resolution:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikicouncil/Resolution . A few things are
stated here about the purpose:
(...) is of the opinion that these volunteers should have a strong say in
changes in the articles of incorporation and the bylaws of the Wikimedia
Foundation.
(...) considers a Volunteer Council as a valuable intermediate between the
Communities and the Foundation, and as a good instrument to hear the voice
of the volunteers.
(...) a Volunteer Council, to serve as a valuable complement to the Staff,
Advisory Board and Board of Trustees.
Without restricting the generality of this provision the purposes of the
Volunteer Council shall include: 1) Offering advice and support on issues
relevant to the Wikimedia Volunteers, 2) Recommanding the opening or closure
of Wikimedia projects, 3) Approving changes to the articles of incorporation
or bylaws of the Wikimedia Foundation and 4) Assist in establishing a clear
separation between the legal responsibilities of the Wikimedia Foundation as
an Internet Service Provider and the community decisions for the Wikimedia
Projects.
</quote>

Some of this maybe sounds as empty text, but it is of course more. And yes,
this all is quite general. It is not the precise definition you ask for. But
you might have noticed from the proposal that this is a preliminary council,
that should define the exactly defined purposes (on some of these, there is
no 100% agreement yet).

I hope this is summarized enough for you.

Best regards,
Lodewijk