[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Mar 14 21:42:12 UTC 2008

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Some of the discussions currently at the board level implies
> "separating" the board in two bodies, with the board keeping mostly
> professionals, whilst the council would host the community members (who
> may be professional, but not the *right* professionals).
>
> If this is the directly we take, the role of the wikicouncil will not be
> to "promote wikimania", it will be to make sure that the staff of WMF is
> dealing with what is appropriate given our mission, and make sure the
> staff of WMF is respecting/promoting the values which are important to
> us. It will not be an operational role, but more a gatekeeper role.

This seems somewhat backwards, unless I'm also missing a proposal to
change the Foundation's legal structure somehow. The Board is currently
the ultimate authority in the Foundation, and so it's important that
it's controlled by people who understand, strongly support, and act to
guarantee the mission. It's much less important that it have a strong
operational role or have any particular professional expertise, since
the board can hire anyone it wants with any desired professional
expertise, and delegate operations to them. So yeah, I could see normal
operations being turned over entirely to a professionalized staff, but I
think it'd be wise to turn over ultimate authority (i.e. votes on the
board) to anyone other than people chosen exclusively for their role as
guarantors of the Foundation's mission.

-Mark