[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 20:36:57 UTC 2008

Sure, both Erik and Florence have directly or indirectly addressed the
issues of legal
problems associated with this idea - Erik by mentioning bylaws and the need
to involve
Mike, and Florence by specifically asking if parallel or shared authority is
even possible
in US law. These are critical and not secondary problems - rather than
creating a
predecessor structure, perhaps what you're looking for is a steering
committee.

Maybe that is what you're aiming at, and I am misunderstanding - a steering
committee to me
would be tasked basically with generating a report for the community and the
board
on what is involved: goals, roadblocks, regulatory problems, possible
structures and
functions, etc. Once those things are hammered out, then I can see
presenting a
proposal for a volunteer council with a few best proposals. Starting out
with something
that is supposed to be a predecessor seems premature to me, given the scope
of what
you are trying to accomplish.

As far as ChapComs limitations - right now it has a fairly narrow mission,
supporting
nationally incorporated chapters of Wikimedia. That doesn't mean the mission
is set in
stone, does it? Even if it can't be adapted, a Project or InterProject
Committee whose
purpose is informational and advisory without specific authority would still
make more
sense than devilishly complex governance changes.

Nathan