No subject

Mon Mar 3 14:31:03 UTC 2008

is not going to work. We currently have MANY
languages<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix>that have a
WMF project. Some of the Wikipedias have almost
nothing to show for their
existence<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias>,
this is true to the extend that there are hundreds of Wikipedians that do
more edits in a month. Giving these languages a representation is
problematic. When you give the English Wikipedia some representation, let us
be generous, 10 people, the size is already such that it will be hard to get
some consensus out of them. Then there is Wiktionary, Wikiversity,
Wikibooks, Wikiquote all relatively substantial in English..

The steward body has a particular function. They do not represent anything
except their past good behaviour. Consequently it is really nice that a
country like Serbia has two man that we recognise as good. This does not
mean that there are no good men in India it just means that nobody from
India has so far asked to become a steward.

The board does not determine the weather, it does not determine finances. It
oversees what the ED, the office does. It ponders strategy but it does not
exectute this strategy. It was really unfortunate and painful that there was
a hiatus in the organisational functioning of the organisation. Because it
meant that so much more valuable time was wasted

Much of what needs doing is done by people, much of what is done is done by
small groups of people. When you look at governance, you have a choise of
either having everything done by the "government" or you have devolved much
of the authority to the people, the projects that do the work. There is a
need for a realignment of the governance of the WMF. Having a more
professional oversight of the organisation is a good thing. Having checks
and balances with the community (all inclusive languages and projects), the
board and the organisation is a good thing. The number of people that are
expected to get involved are however not realistic. It will not get anything
done if only because the sheer size is going to prevent any consensus.

I find it funny, but I find myself advocating small government. Typically an
American concept ...
Thanks,
     GerardM