[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:37:02 UTC 2008

On 3/13/08, mike.lifeguard <mike.lifeguard at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Ant:
>
> > The more I think about it, the less it seems wise to make an attempt for
>  >linguistic representativity. It may even have detrimental effects to do so.
>  >
>  >I think it would be wiser make possible project representativity.
>
> I can agree with that. There is more similarity between languages of a
>  certain project (all the wikibookses, all the wikiquotes...) vs a relatively
>  low similarity between all projects of a certain language (all English
>  projects, all Spanish projects...)

I described at the talk page [1] the model for the solution. Both:
projects and languages should be represented because of the fact that
we are dealing with both: different kinds of projects and different
languages (=cultures).

While the a particular project (like English Wikinews) should be
represented according to the size of the community, languages should
be represented unproportionally, possibly one delegate per one
language with at least one active project.

Of course, this approach leads to a very huge body (approx. 500-700
members), which is not possible now nor at the near future (near
future = a couple of years). So, as I said, I think that one of the
main responsibilities of the provisional body should be creating a
path from the size of 20-30 members to a fully representative body.

[1] - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikicouncil