[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:27:00 UTC 2008

On 3/13/08, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> You need some kind of judicial system, but it doesn't necessarily need
>  to be separate (it is, however, the branch that is most desirable to
>  have separate, but it depends on the details as to whether or not its
>  worth it). I'm not sure the distinction between executive and
>  legislative is entirely accurate anyway. The way I see it, the board
>  both legislates on and executes matters than require expert knowledge
>  and the council both legislates on executes matters that don't. The
>  analogy to the US government system isn't a very good one.

There are some government-assembly analogies, while, of course, they
are partial and because of that misleading. Board and government deal
with operational, real-time things, while Council and assembly should
deal with community regulation.

However, unlike the relation between government and assembly, Council
and Board are doing very different things: while Board is dealing with
money and real-time events, Council deals with community and content.
Ideally, Council shouldn't deal with money, while board shouldn't deal
with community and content. Also, there is no relation like "making
laws" (assembly) -> "imposing laws" (government).

Also, community regulation is at completely different path then in the
state mechanism. While states are discard only unnecessary and harmful
powers, Council should take only necessary powers, related to common
interests and goals of all projects. All other things should be
regulated at the local community level.