[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] CAS and Wikipedia -- CAS agrees to help contribute

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 09:46:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  I hope they realise that as Wikipedia is available under the GFDL, people
>  who use this data are able to use this information without a need to ask for
>  permission.

You are wrong. CAS numbers extracted from Wikipedia are not subject to
the GFDL, since they lack any copyright protection.

Including that PD data into Wikipedia does not "un-PD" it.. People are
and were free to use CAS numbers without the need to ask for
permission long before the data was inserted into Wikipedia.

Mathias