[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 03:43:23 UTC 2008

--- Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 3/13/08, effe iets anders
> <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The size is not fixed for ever. The preliminary
> Council can determine the
> > size in their proposal as they wish. However, for
> the preliminary Council,
> > it is rather practical to start with a smaller
> group. Expanding is generally
> > easier then decreasing. It is one of the "details"
> to be discussed.
>
> Did I misread your original posting, or did it
> infact make explicit that
> the preliminary council would have the authority to
> add to it's own number
> through 2/3 support votes, while still preliminary?
>
> If my reading is correct, I would strongly urge that
> the first dozen (or so)
> make it their first order of business to balance the
> representativeness
> of their own number, as I cannot envision how such a
> limited number
> would be able to fully in a balanced fashion have a
> view of the whole
> vastness that is Wikimedia.
>
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]
>
> _____________________________

I agree with this sentiment.

I also think something coming about from all this is
great.  Thank you everyone who put work into the
proposal.

My final thought is that the actual adoption of this
resolution could be widely supported, or it could be a
complete joke.  It all depends on the part that was
left off.  Size, authority, etc. have no real
significance next to the "who".  Actively recruit
people not normally heard from and I am your biggest
fan.  Populate the council with members of internal-l
and I will laugh.  Take the middle-road and I will be
supportive and hope that the council moves itself
toward the first suggestion per Cimon.

Birgitte SB