[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 23:09:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>  If the board and community were always in complete agreement, there
>  would be no need for such a council. The council is intended to be a
>  way to get the views of the community heard. Whether the board will be
>  bound by the decisions of the council or not (and if they are, in what
>  areas) is one of the details that people disagree on.

Such a council would likely be similar to one of our several
committees. For instance, the Chapcom makes recommendations on issues
about chapters, and these are issues which the board often doesnt have
the time or the resources to research for themselves. They rely on
Chapcom for advice because the board often doesnt have an opinion
about a particular chapter in the first place.

Such a council should likely not be overlapping with the board on many
issues, but should be tasked with researching and debating topics that
the board doesnt have the time or resources to do for itself. For
instance, the opening of a new project, or closing of an old one, is
not likely to be an area where the board is going to have a firm
opinion either way.

--Andrew Whitworth