[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 16:42:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

>  the rest of the web. Using Google's search engine instead of our stripped
>  down Lucene would be an improvement in usability, make us money and save us
>  money.

Google has a project called "Custom Search Engine", part of Google co-op.

What they don't mention there is that they also offer all sorts of
specific hacks to transclude google search results into third party
web sites.

But even without changing anything, these search engines already get
quite a lot of traffic from wikipedia and it would not be greedy just
to ask them for a donation that could be a sum similar to what they
would have paid to a similar web site.

Mathias