[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 12 10:26:15 UTC 2008

> When the media ask why we don't have ads, I answer "Because the
>  volunteers who write everything hate them." Followed by "So we rely on
>  donations. We're a charity, and not a rich one. Please give us money.
>  Furthermore, please give us money." etc.

You could also ask the counter-question: "Did your school have
advertising? Do you think it should have?" And I personally believe
the answer is fundamentally the same: If a school can only survive by
resorting to advertising, then it should -- but if it can be effective
without it, then it shouldn't.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation