[Foundation-l] New feature of Pay Pal

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Tue Mar 11 23:13:57 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen schreef:
> Hoi,
> I got an e-mail from Pay Pal informing me that they now have a feature that
> allows for the embedding of a link in an e-mail that goes directly to the
> Pay Pal payment process. For an organisation like the WMF that relies
> heavily on the donations from the public, this may be a feature that will be
> considered.

That sounds like a HTML-link. So you need to send out html emails... I
know that in the real world everybody is using html emails but I for one
do not like that.

And I do not like Paypal either. The are leeches sucking up a lot of
money that should go to the WMF.

> NB With these kinds of features it is fairly obvious that some scrutiny is
> needed for the security of such a feature. I have not looked into this but
> expect that this is one of those things where a balance is struck between
> convenience and security.
>
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

Yes,indeed. The cost of bad publicity when things go wrong could be
higher. I see people getting spamed with fake WMF emails with fake
"donate to the WMF" hyperlinks from Negira.

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community