[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Mar 10 21:46:09 UTC 2008

Robert Rohde wrote:
> Even within the realm of simply running the site, there is a big difference
> between running Wikimedia with a couple paid developers and a bunch of
> volunteers, and really having a professional development staff.  How many
> software features have been promised (e.g. stable versions, universal login,
> etc.) that have been delayed for a very long time for lack of resources,
> especially developer time?  Do you want just enough money to run the site,
> or do you want enough money to grow and build Mediawiki's feature set, etc.?

Is that what's happening, though? According to the staff list [1],
despite the general staff expansion, no new technical staff has been
added since 2006: We're still at 2 full-time and 2 part-time/contract
staff, out of 13 full-time and 15 total paid staff members. So the money
does seem to be being used for staff expansion, but not staff who are
going to implement single-login or add MediaWiki features.

-Mark

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Current_staff