[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:46:35 UTC 2008

I can understand that, and I appreciate that you are following the issue,
but I stand by the fact that I think relying on individual donations in
perpetuity to preserve the work and mission of the Foundation does not
constitute responsible stewardship. This isn't to say that the current
method is irresponsible - but if change and improvement is resisted without
even consideration (because we say "We know the community is against this"
before we really look into it and ask them to evaluate options) then I
strongly believe that this is not the right way forward. Childish, in that
sense, is stomping your foot and saying "no way!" - which isn't an
accusation against the Board, but at some individuals who have already
expressed this attitude now and in the past.

George Hebert mentions short-circuiting the community, and I wouldn't ask or
expect that at all. But the community is made up of people who are not
professionals in operating and funding a non-profit foundation. In order to
make an educated decision about this sort of issue, the Foundation needs to
provide the community with as much information and as many options as
possible without dismissing the question out of hand.

Nathan