[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:29:45 UTC 2008

On 10/03/2008, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:
> I have to be honest about one thing related to this topic. I have always
>  thought it would be harmless to include Google ads on Wikipedia's internal
>  search engine. (...)

>  It's clear that the Wikimedia Foundation could earn millions of dollars
>  without ever showing an advertisement on a Wikipedia article.

This is... a really, really, innovative idea.

I don't think it's a desirable idea - I am firmly of the opinion that
we should struggle along without advertising for as long as we can,
but that's really just a personal distaste - but *if* we were to
implement such a thing, this sort of approach is rather elegant and
probably the least bad way of doing it. (Alternative versions would be
'use the Wikipedia namespace', etc)

And, as such, it's probably the one you would have the least
difficulty convincing the community to go along with.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk