[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 18:39:45 UTC 2008

I think the chances of Google threatening to withdraw AdSense from Wikipedia
on the basis of the content of an article are exceedingly slim, not least
because it would be front page of every newspaper in the United States when
it broke. Lets be serious about this, and raise realistic objections. Geni
says we have a profile, we don't need a profile. Really? Everyone knows
about Wikipedia, but how many people know about Wikimedia? How many know
that it is operated by a non-profit foundation that is eternally short of
money because it lives on individual donations? How many have heard any sort
of encouragement to participate aside from a slogan here and there when they
actually seek out a particular article?

Most people familiar with the web are familiar with Google Ads, and I think
the likelihood of an ad being interpreted as an actual endorsement from
Wikimedia is probably slim. Even so, there are ways to limit the types of
ads shown and where - a sidebar, in search results, a footer, etc. No one is
advocating a mid-article big fat banner ad. Geni says its been considered,
and the answer is no - and I'll repeat myself by telling you that it isn't a
one off conversation where you can say "Look, a consensus of people in 2003
decided it was a bad idea and now we don't ever have to think about it
again". Sorry.

I would ask that the Board specifically request that Sue prepare a report
for submission in the next six months to a year that comprehensively treats
the idea of advertising, including: Display options, vendors, placement,
potential revenue, impact of  increased financial stability based on this
revenue, impact on the community and the ability of revenue to subsidize
efforts that will increase the size and draw of the community. Refusing to
consider the option is childish, and any consideration should be done with
an extensive impact report at hand.

Nathan