[Foundation-l] iPhone App

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 10 17:20:10 UTC 2008

Judson Dunn wrote:
> Even a nicer interface for the articles using the API rather than
> safari would probably be useful to people. Loading times would
> probably be faster etc. It wouldn't have to do much to be useful imo.

The problem isn't Safari; it's page size! :)

Many Wikipedia articles have gotten *very big* over the years,
especially since we got less and less picky about enforcing the 32kb
page source size warning (originally instituted because many web
browsers in 2001 would eat your page at that point when you tried to edit).

Playing with my iPhone, I've been sometimes using the experimental WAP
gateway (based on Hawpedia, using the HawHaw library). This breaks the
pages down into much smaller pieces which load a *lot* faster on a slow
mobile network.

However, it's a bit limited and sometimes breaks on large or complex
pages. A "next-generation" mobile interface which is friendlier to page
size, but supports full wiki and web capabilities (tables, styles, etc)
where appropriate would be a great project... maybe a Summer of Code
projects for some enterprising lad or lass?

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2008 <- start making some
project ideas :D

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)